Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Seen and Heard

Right now I am watching The Real World on MTV and one of the roommates went out and got a male yorkie puppy. The reason that I am posting this is because of a comment made by another roommate regarding the dog... the other roommate asked why the dog was wearing a rhinestone studded collar since it was a boy and suggested that it was not very fitting. I found this really interesting because the roommate who said this recently went through gender transition surgery in order to become a woman. I really don't even know what to think about this.... I just thought it was crazy that she, of all people, would make a comment like that about gender stereotypes...

2 comments:

  1. I saw that too and had the same reaction. I thought she should not judge and think those kinds of thoughts since she must be the center of so many judgments herself. I would think she would not think that there is a clear line when it comes to gender identity because she struggled with her own gender identity. Those are just my thoughts because I was really surprised by that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I caught the same episode, but I must not have been paying close attention because I missed that part! I can't believe that someone who has cried on previous episodes about being judged would make a comment like that! I agree with both Kelly and Karen in thinking that someone who has had gender surgery would most likely be a little less apt to make a judgment on what's appropriate for a boy and for a girl. Yes, it's just a dog, but don't the same principals still apply- shouldn't we accept what someone wants without question? I wonder if when we talk about GLBTQ in the upcoming weeks a question like this might arise? Very interesting comment Kelly!

    ReplyDelete