Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Boy meets Boy

First off, I really enjoyed Levithan's Boy meets Boy. I thought that it was a great book and I found myself getting very involved with the characters as I was able to relate to some of their experiences as well as learn about some first-hand experiences to which I would have never be exposed otherwise. While I thought that story was very inspiring, one thing sort of bothered me. In the beginning of the book, Paul claims that he knew was gay in kindergarten, after reading a note made by his teacher. First of all, I thought that it was crazy that a teacher would feel the need to write something like that about a student at such a young age, but second, I couldn't get over a statement that Paul made about how he liked seeing another young boys shirt get lifted up. While Paul was discussing what it meant to be gay with his teacher he says, "My attention was a little distracted because Ted was now pulling up Greg Easton's shirt, and that was kind of cool" (Levithan 9). I suppose that this memory could have been modified over time, but I was just very surprised to read that as a kindergartner, Paul had sexual feelings. I think that regardless of your sexual preference, at the age of 5 or 6, you really don't see others as being attractive in that way. Although this statement stood out to me while I was reading, I thought that Levithan created an excellent book that can provide not only a mirror for members of the GLBTQ community, but also a window for outsiders to gain a better understanding of their gay and lesbian peers. It was a inspirational story that I feel provided readers with authentic experiences of the GLBTQ culture.

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking the same thing when I read about what Paul was thinking in Kindergarten, and about what the teacher wrote. I agree that I don't think that children become sexual aware of themselves or others until a much later age. I took it as Paul could have been adding details into his memory during the flashback. I also thought that it was completely ridiculous that the teacher wrote that about him, and not only that, but that Paul could read and understand the concepts of "definitely" and "sense of self" enough to bring it up to the teacher and talk about it. It is awesome that the author wants the readers to know that Paul has been open about his sexuality from a young age, but the way it was done seems a little hard to believe too.

    ReplyDelete