Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Issues of Diversity in Literature

I feel like one of the most challenging things about this course, at least for me, is recognizing issues of diversity in my environment. It's not that I don't know how to identify them, but I've realized that I often look past them. Reading the article last week really make me think about this because it talked about how so many people think that they do not have a problem recognizing these issues, simply because they can read about something that is wrong and at the same time, they know that it is wrong so they do not let it affect them. Before taking this class, I would definitely put myself in this category... I always just looked past things because I knew that they were wrong and, because of this, I just asssumed that I didn't need to pay attention to it. Now, I almost embarrassed at myself for thinking this way because I realize that we cannot just ignore these issues because we think we know right from wrong... As a writer, or any person for that matter, it should be our responsibility to be aware of the things we say and do, and to understand how our actions can impact others. If people keep ignoring carelessness and ignorance, things will never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment