Thursday, February 26, 2009

Reading Book with different Dialects

I really don't know what to think about this. When I have my own classroom, I hope that something like this will never hold me back from reading a book, yet I definitely don't want to offend anyone by making bad attempts at reading the text according to how it was written and how it should be read. And while I understand that there are books on tape that I can use, how do I know that the actors/readers are using authentic voices? I have just never thought about this before. I remember reading certain books in high school, like the Grapes of Wrath and Their Eyes were Watching God, and struggling through the dialect. I actually had to read them aloud to myself in order for them to make any sense... which I now find kind of interesting since I certainly did not have any authentic experiences that would have tied me to the dialect of the characters. Still, it helped me to get a better understanding of the books being read. I definitely think that it is important to try and find resources for students where they can maybe hear what people similar to the characters in the story would have sounded like… if that is really even possible; or at least discuss with them how and why things may have been different… but I don’t think that we should be afraid to read books to our classes just because we may not sound authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment