Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Multicultural Literature: Hot topic?

While I was studying for my CEP exam, I read an article by the International Reading Association that discussed the hot topics in education for 2009. While hot topics were mentioned such as RTI (response to intervention) and reading coaches, I was surprised to see that multicultural literature was identified as a cold topic. I know through our readings that there certainly are not many high-quality books out there to support multicultural literature, but I was under the impression that it was a growing field. We have discussed the importance of building great classroom libraries, full of authentic and reputable multicultural texts as well as the importance of simple exposing our students to the diversity within the people that make up the world. Before this class, I can honestly say that I would have not considered multicultural literature to be such an important part of the classroom; however now, I realize that it in no way can be left out. While I am certainly happy that this class has exposed me to the significance of multicultural lit, I hope that we are not joined by a small group of supporters. I guess I was just assuming that the inclusion of multicultural lit in classrooms was a growing topic and I am worried after reading this article that there are not enough educators who are excited to incorporate the knowledge of our diverse world into their classrooms.

1 comment:

  1. Kelly,
    It surprised me as well to see that multicultural literature would be considered a cold issue. The realization that this topic might not be as big of an issue as I had thought and hoped it was makes me think about what we can do as future teachers to help raise awareness about the importance of this issue. If this subject is getting cold, then maybe there's something we could do to help bring it back into the spotlight. It is extremely important that all students can find characters in books that they can relate to, and letting this issue die out is not the way to help accomplish that goal.

    ReplyDelete